Introduction to Botox/Dysport/Nuceiva Treatments
The natural aging process often causes our skin to undergo changes that results in increased lines and wrinkles. Repetitive movement of the muscles under the skin causes the prominent lines and wrinkles. This often develops with age.
At London Plastic Surgery, our specialists utilize a combination of treatments and techniques to help reverse the signs of aging. These treatments can help create a more youthful appearance by softening facial lines and wrinkles.
What is Botox/Dysport/Nuceiva?
How Long Does The Treatment Last?
How Is It Administered?
Botulinum toxin A are administered with very small injections under the skin. The treatments are generally very well tolerated. This treatment ia a quick and non-invasive treatment.
FDA Approved Areas
Eyes: The areas around your eyes are sensitive to daily facial movements. Smiling, squinting, and laughing can result in the formation of Crows Feet. It can help relax the muscles around your eyes to provide a youthful appearance as the wrinkles soften.
Frown Lines: Every facial expression involves the use of your eyebrows. This can result in deep unfavourable lines. Injecting Botulinum toxin A into the glabella can help reduce these lines and lift the eyebrows.
Forehead: Your facial expressions and emotions can cause permanent creases on your forehead. Botulinum toxin A is used to remove these lines that often occur when worried or stressed.
Lips: Many women and men want to have lips that portray youthfulness. If your mouth has a natural downward curve, Botulinum toxin A can help you get a more relaxed and smiling appearance that will appear more visually attractive. Botulinum toxin A can also help remove your smokers’ lines from your lip area.
Hyperhidrosis Reduction: Excessive sweating can be an embarrassing problem. Individuals suffering from severe hyperhidrosis can find a solution with Botox that can resolve the problem for months at a time.
Masseter/ TMJ: Injections into the masseter muscle is ideal for patients who are grinding, clenching, and wearing out their teeth and need a lot of dental work, for patients who have frequent tension or migraine headaches, and for patients who do not like the shape of their face because of square or thick jaw line and who want to appear more feminine.
How Much Does Botox/Dysport/Nuceiva Cost
What are the Side Effects?
When an expert injector administers Botulinum toxin A, you should face minimal side effects, especially if you follow our post treatment advice. If you go with the experienced injectors at London Plastic Surgery, you are in safe hands. The most you should face is slight bruising or redness in the injected area that should disappear within a few hours to a day.
Am I A Good Candidate?
If you’ve noticed any of the following, then you may be an excellent candidate for Botulinum toxin A treatments:
- Vertical lines between your eyebrows (Frown lines)
- Horizontal lines in your forehead (Forehead wrinkles)
- Lines and wrinkles around your eyes (Crow’s Feet)
- Drooping eyebrows or poor eyebrow shape
- Wrinkles and lines around your lips (Marionette lines and Smoker’s Lines)
- Horizontal lines on your nose (Bunny Lines)
- Dimples on your chin
- A widened jaw (often common in Asian population and patients with bruxism)
- Hyperhidrosis or excess sweating in your armpits or palms
- Prominent bands on your neck
Who Should Not Use Botulinum toxin A?
You should avoid treatments if:
- You are allergic to cow’s milk protein (only an issue with Dysport)
- You have myasthenia gravis, Eaton Lambert Syndrome, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or another muscle disorder
- You are allergic or sensitive to any Botulinum toxin product
- You have an infection at the proposed injection site
- You are taking antibiotics
- You are pregnant
- You are nursing
Is there a Difference between Botox and Dysport?
Although both products contain slightly different versions of the same neuromodulator, they have slightly different characteristics. In our experience at London Plastic Surgery, Dysport tends to have an effect a few days sooner than Botox. Dysport also tends to spread more than Botox. This can be a good thing in areas such as the crow’s feet or neck. In areas where diffusion is not ideal, we prefer to use Botox. However, it is far more important who is injecting the products, than which of the two products you are using. Poor results are the outcome of injector’s mistakes and not the products.
What Can I do to Prepare for my treatments?
You should avoid using any non-essential medication or herbal remedy that may increase your chance of bruising before your treatment. This includes:
Aspirin (only stop this if your family physician indicates it is safe to do so)
What To Avoid After Your Treatment
- Touching: It is vital to avoid touching the area you received your Botox/Dysport in the 24 hours following your treatment. The injections are precisely administered to achieve the desired effects, and touching could result in movement to unintended muscles.
- Alcohol and Painkillers: Certain drugs, such as aspirin, along with alcohol should be avoided as they can cause your blood to thin and can cause excess bleeding. Aspirin and alcohol are recommended to be avoided for 48 hours following treatment.
- Lying Flat: It is recommended to avoid lying flat or bending over for about four hours following your Botulinum toxin A injection to allow the treatment to properly settle within your body.
- Exercise: Following the treatment, it is important to avoid any strenuous activity. You should be able to return to your regular exercise regime the following day.
- Facials: Facials, along with chemical peels, eyebrow waxing, and other face treatments can interfere with your Botulinum toxin A injection, causing it to end up with undesirable results. Plan to do these treatments at least 24 hours after receiving your treatment.
- Travel: It is important to stay in touch with and within reach of London Plastic
Surgery following any treatments. That way, in the event that you experience any unexpected side effects, you’ll be able to receive support from your injector.
- Follow up: First time Botulinum toxin A patients are scheduled for a 14 day follow up to assess your results. At London Plastic Surgery, we want to make sure every patient has a treatment that they love and are happy with their results.